Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas

chia seed recipesLooking for chia seed recipes? All our original and tested chia seed recipes are quick to make and easy to follow. We aim to get you started using chia seeds with confidence and also to give you some ideas on how to be more creative  using them in your own recipes..

If you want to know how to use chia seeds, this site will give you information, techniques, recipes and plenty of ideas.

New recipes are being added frequently as we continue to try new ways of using these healthy little seeds.

Cooking with chia seeds is easy, fun and very healthy.

Chia seeds are tiny,  hard and have a subtle nut-like flavor when chewed, but they have the unique property of absorbing liquid.  When stirred into liquid they soften and absorb 9-12 times their own weight of the liquid. They take on the taste of whatever liquid they are placed in, which makes them ideal to use as a thickener in all sorts of recipes.

The high omega fat content of the seeds makes them useful as a substitute for butter or eggs in baking, which can cut down on calories  and adds to their versatility.

If you have already bought chia seeds, then I invite you to try some of our recipes. If you have been thinking of trying them, the best place to buy is online, where you can often get a good price for 1lb to 5lb packs.

You can use black, white or mixed seeds, although its often easier to get black seeds. You can also purchase milled seeds, which are whole ground chia seeds. The nutritional value is roughly the same, no matter what colour seed you buy.

Nutrition

When you add chia seeds to your diet, you will soon begin to see the results. They are a true superfood, a powerhouse of nutrition.  Most people soon notice an increase in energy, clearer thinking and a calmer, happier mood. The high fiber content aids regularity in a natural, gentle way.

After a couple of months  you should notice clearer skin and more glossy hair, a result, I believe, of the high omega 3 content of the seeds. Because chia seeds digest slowly they make you feel fuller longer which can be an aid to weight loss.

The video below gives in-depth information on the nutritional value of these little seeds and also demonstrates how to make chia gel, which is the basis of many of the recipes on this site.

One to 2 tablespoons of chia seeds per day is a good amount for an adult.  Children have less, say half to one tablespoon per day.  As with any new food, its best to start off with a small amount and gradually build up. There are no known allergic responses to this food.

What do chia seeds taste like?

Chia seeds have a slightly nutty flavor when eaten on their own.  When incorported into a recipe they do not have a noticeable taste. When chia seeds come into contact with the moisture in a recipe, be it a pudding, soup, cookie or smoothie they absorb that moisture and take on the flavor of what they are put into. This makes them a wonderful healthy addition to any recipe, whether sweet or savory.

.About our recipes

In this site I will tell you how to make and use chia gel. In general you will need to hydrate the seeds (ie make a gel) before adding the seeds to any recipe or when adding to a liquid dish, such as a soup, pudding or smoothie, allow the mixture to stand for at least 10 minutes so the chia seeds can expand, soften and take up the flavor of your main ingredients .

There is also information on how to make chia puddings of various kinds and chia drinks including chia fresca and smoothies.

There is information on how to make and use ground chia, how to make cookies and pancakes using ground chia, plus recipes for main courses, soups and desserts.

I have also included some of my own favourite recipes, including chia pinole, and a chia pan bread for you to enjoy, together with simple ideas on how to use chia seeds in your everyday cooking.

There are recipes for both sweet and savory dishes. and many recipes are suitable for vegetarians, vegans and raw food enthusiasts.

Please enjoy these chia seed recipes.

243 Responses to “Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas”

1. Kellen says:

I live outside Washington, DC in the United States. I just found chia seeds in a small middle eastern market. I’m excited to try them, as I’m reading Born To Run, which references the amazing health benefits of chia.

2. Annette says:

I am a little confused on how much chia should be consumed each day. This post recommends one to two table spoons each day. However, the lady in the video, make the chia gel with just one teaspoon, and suggests to place it in various items. If using the chia gel, how does the one teaspoon used equate to the one to two tables spoons recommended? Thank you kindly.

• admin says:

If you want to drink chia gel, then a teaspoon in a glass of water, juice or tea 3 times a day makes 1 tablespoon. However, I use whole or ground chia seeds in most of my recipes Annette. I often make a fruity chia gel to have over yogurt and make it much thicker by adding a tablespoon of chia seeds to half a cup of fruit juice – sometimes more, sometimes less, as the mood takes me. There are no rules to follow. My main focus is to enjoy what I eat while getting 1 to 2 tablespoons of the seeds per day, which gives noticeable health benefits. I hope that clears up any confusion.

3. prasad says:

hi
    i am from india.in india curries form an important part of daily food.they are cooked at a temp of more than 100c. can we use chia in curries?.please reply
    thanqq
    prasad

• admin says:

Hi Prasad. I love curries and I have used whole chia seeds to thicken curries. I like to add the seeds at the end of the cooking time and let the dish stand for 10 minutes or so to allow the seeds to absorb the curry sauce and thicken it. This metyhod works for stews and casseroles too.

4. Des Paul says:

I wish to manufacture Chia health products in order to establish an income for our children’s home here in Zimbabwe.
    Please can you send me Recipies for sweets/candies that will be healthy and attractive to children. I’d love to produce a Chia Lolipop or a Chia seed bar. My main problem is the amount of sugar that usually goes into candies.
    Any ideas?

• admin says:

Hi Des. I don’t have any recipes for this sort of product, but maybe our readers can help. Regarding sugar, there are some substitutes that are healthier, for example, dried fruits, stevia (a natural plant that is 6 times sweeter than sugar and comes in powdered or liquid form) and my current favorite substitute – coconut palm sugar, which is full of vitamins and minerals and is low GI. Good luck with your project.

• Fachia says:

I was very excited to read this post’s reference to ‘coconut palm sugar’. I am sugar free but still use artificial sweeteners and am looking for ways to get away from that. Stevia, I find, has a bitter taste to it and try as I might, cannot seem to acclimate to it. I did some quick research on ‘coconut palm sugar’ and came upon this link from 2010: http://summertomato.com/is-coconut-palm-sugar-a-healthy-sugar-substitute/.

I continued to look for more updated information, but really couldn’t find anything. So for those who have true health issues that are impacted by the Glycemic Index issue, this may not be a good choice. Although it sounds like it is simply delicious!

Stevia is the best option so far, but I just can’t seem to embrace its flavor.

Thank you for having this great site. I am learning so much and have now purchased chia seeds and will be trying them shortly.

Love and Light

• admin says:

Hi Fachia. I am almost sugar free, but lately I have been using coconut palm sugar where a little sweetness is needed.
          it seems to be very healthy, low on the glycemic index, full of minerals and vitamins and tastes wonderful. I now add a little of this sugar to any chia seed recipe where before
          I would have used stevia. Here’s what Dr.Oz has to say about it http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/coconut-palm-sugar-best-new-sugar-alternative

• I use raw, unsifted honey from the farm and add some xylitol to protect my teeth against the honey.I also have a problem with the bitterish taste of stevia. I don’t ever take dangerous sweetners like aspartame and the likes. I get my honey directly from the farmer which cost less that half of the radiated honey that we can buy in the shops. I do not know if we have coconut palm sugar in SA. I do use coconut oil for all my cooking and I just love it even on rye bread and will try put some chia seeds on next time. At the moment I douse my rye bread coconut oil with non irradiated cayenne pepper GMO free.

• admin says:

Your raw honey direct from the farm sounds wonderful. I would continue using that rather than look for something that is not local. You have some very interesting and healthy food ideas 😀

• dy in OC says:

I was at an essential oils/ scientific nutrition class last night, and the instructor said Trivia is much sweeter than the bitter taste of Stevia. I have yet to try Stevia, but I find Trivia pleasantly sweet. You might also try agave instead of honey, it’s very concentrated and sweet. Good luck on your business!

5. Hannah says:

Just wondering if Chia seeds have a taste to them?

• admin says:

They have a very mild nutty taste Hannah. This makes them ideal to use in all sorts of recipes as they take on the flavor of whatever you mix with them.

6. B. Julian says:

Hi, I’m from Jakarta, Indonesia.
    Thanks for this very usefull website. I’m just try to consume chia seeds for this couple of days.
    I want to ask you some questions :
    1. Is it true that chia seeds nutrition will ‘broken’ if we cook it into higher temperature ?
    2. So the best serve is, just put into water & drink it ?
    3. How to keep chia seeds ? In refrigerator ?
    Thx in advance.

• admin says:

Hi B. Julian. I have been to Jakarta – its a very beautiful city. In answer to your questions, 1. Chia seeds are very hardy and not many nutrients are lost when the seeds are cooked. 2. Its quick and easy to drink the seeds in water, but it gets very boring. Try it in a fruit juice gel, soup or any of the recipes on this site. 3. Chia seeds have so many antioxidasnts that they keep well for up to two years in a kitchen cupboard. But the heat and humidity in Jakarta may lessen this time, so no harm in keeping them in the refriderator. Great to hear from you 🙂

• B. Julian says:

Does chia seeds can make constipation too ?
        How many times we can take glass of chia seeds in daily ?
        I take it a glass for daily but for next 3-4 days , it makes me constipation.
        Need your suggestion.
        Thx in advance.

• admin says:

Hi B. Julian. You need to drink more. Any increase in fiber can cause constipation, and because chia seeds absorb fluid it is more likely to cause constipation that other fiber sources . However, fiber is very important for bowel health and is usually recommended to help avoid constipation. A simple way to help if adding chia seeds to your diet causes constipation is to drink an extra glass or two of water for every tablespoon of chia seeds eaten.

7. rupert harvey says:

hello! i also live in britain and find chia seeds very easy to buy,at least four shops in norwich have them,the cheapest at &7.00 for a 1lb pot. try soaking a good tablespoon in a half pint of luke warm water with half a lemon juice, i find they seem to jelly-up a lot quicker and tast yummy!

8. Mairi says:

Tracy, I’m from Scotland, you can get them from amazon. I ordered mine on Monday and they arrive Wednesday. Around £12 for a kilo.

9. Mark Twomey says:

I take chia seeds daily and find them very good. We have a 9 month old and Im wondering if it is beneficial / safe to give him a small dose daily?

Thanks
    Mark

• admin says:

Hi Mark. I am just a dedicated chia seed user and have no medical training so can’t offer medical advice. However to help you make a decision, the FDA has deemed chia seeds to be a food and has put no limits on the amount of chia seeds to use daily or on the age to start using chia seeds. My kids are grown up, but if I had a 9 month old baby I would be cautious about adding any seeds to his diet and would add only ground chia seeds in tiny amounts to food that he is already eating and tolerating well.

• Elly says:

Hey,
      My daughter is allergic to eggs so has been having chia seeds as an egg substitute since she was about 8mo. I have not noticed any adverse reaction to these. She is breastfed on demand so I guess she may be taking more fluid on the days she has them, I really wouldn’t know.
      I usually add them to porridge, pancakes and fritters. With the fritters you have to add oil as well to make them bind properly.

10. Tracey says:

Hi I am from the UK , I have just recently being taken Chia seeds as they are not yet available in the UK. They are great , I have being taking them for 2 weeks now and already see the benefits. I just wish the UK would hurry up and pass these over here !

• Lauren says:

I live in Surrey and go to university in Cambridge and have had no trouble finding chia seed as they’re in just about any health food shop. I’ve also found them in Dundee & Jersey, its very strange that you can’t find them.

11. Yvonne says:

I use 2 tbsp. at 9:00 a.m. and 1 tbsp. at 4:00 p.m. and I am amazed how I can stick to my healthy diet…I think this is the ticket! Of course this alone will not make you a healthier person. You also have to incorporate healthy eating and exercise to aid in making yourself more healthy!!

12. Gisele says:

I started eating chia seeds about a week ago. As a school administrator I don’t always eat right during the school day. In addition, I need to keep my cool with kids and their parents.

Each morning I magic bullet orange juice, a banana, whey protein, chia seeds and refrigerate in my office. By 10am I begin sipping the concoction and it sustains me through the day. My students say it looks like broccoli cheddar soup.

Need a new juice for next week. Any suggestions?

13. Em says:

Another easy way to consume chia is to construct a little garden or window box and sprout the seed to use fresh in salads – snip the seedlings, wash, toss – it’s that simple. The entire plant is edible, too – using the leaf fresh or dried in steeping tea is an excellent cold weather energy booster.

14. nell says:

Sorry to say but the chia seeds are spiking my blood sugar. I was hoping to lower my LDL but not at the cost of my blood sugar.

• admin says:

Hi Nell. This surprises me as chia seeds are supposed to help stabilize blood sugar levels. I wonder if anyone else has noticed spiking of blood sugar from taking chia seeds.

15. Lucy says:

Hello,

I want to use Chia seeds as a partial substitute for butter/oil in recipes… do you know what quantities are made? i.e. how much water / chia seeds are required for 100g of gel?

Thanks!

• admin says:

The best way is to go by volume Lucy. That is, if a recipe calls for the equivalent of half a cup of butter, halve that so its a quarter cup of butter and make up the other half by adding a quarter cup of thick chia gel. The proportion I like to use is 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds per quarter cup of water. Let the chia/water mix stand, stir occasionally until the gel has formed then mix with the butter. You may want to experiment to find out what combination of these ingredients works best for your recipe.

16. Julie says:

Is there any reason I should not try chia seeds while I am breastfeeding?

• admin says:

None that I know of Julie. The FDA has approved chia seeds as a food, not a supplement. However, When I had my children, I was advised to watch the baby’s stools when I consumed any new food in case it caused any upset to the baby. That sounded like good advice to me.

17. Clare says:

Hi, I am going to make some of my newly purchased chia seeds into the ‘gel’ using the method you describe in the video to add to my daily breakfast shakes I make – can you tell me how long the gel mixture will keep in the fridge? can’t wait to use this to stave off hunger and keep my energy up!

• admin says:

Hi Clare. A water based gel will keep for a week in the fridge. A fruit juice based gel will keep for a few days in the fridge. Make sure you cover the gel to prevent it drying out. Enjoy your smoothies!

18. Donna says:

Hi. Is there any difference between “chia seeds” adn “dried chia seeds.” If so, would there be a difference in measurements used in cooking?
    Thank you so much!

19. Jennie says:

Is there a limit to the amount you should comsume in a day? I took 1 Tblspn (plain with water), and was thinking about sprinkling on foods (like Sensa only not chemically based lol. I also found a recipe to include it in steel cut oats for breakfast. I don’t want to overdo it, but am looking to lose weight, reduce blood sugar levels, and by doing these, reduce my high blood pressure.

• admin says:

There is no set limit Jennie as chia seeds are classed as a food by ther FDA. However, when starting with a new food its wise to start slowly. I like to use 4 or more tablespoons of chia seed for weight loss.

• Jennie says:

Great. Thank you. I am currently eating them in a steel cut oats recipe I found on the Mennonite Girls Can Cook website. They are quite good. I sprinkled them on ice cream the other night, and am sprinkling them on regular foods at meal times. They are definitely helping to make me feel full without feeling miserable. I’m so glad I found these. I figured this was a much healthier way to lose weight than Sensa.

20. SILVIA says:

Hi. I actually just like to eat the seeds as they are by tablespoon for breakfast. Since I am not letting them dilute/soften or mixing it with anything, do I need to grind them first?

• admin says:

Hi Sylvia. If you enjoy your chia seeds like that, then go for it! I am beginning to enjoy the crunch of the natural unsoftened chia seeds on and in a variety of foods more now. No need to mix the seeds with any other foods, gel, grind or soften them. Just make sure you have enough fluids each day.