Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas

chia seed recipesLooking for chia seed recipes? All our original and tested chia seed recipes are quick to make and easy to follow. We aim to get you started using chia seeds with confidence and also to give you some ideas on how to be more creative using them in your own recipes..

If you want to know how to use chia seeds, this site will give you information, techniques, recipes and plenty of ideas.

New recipes are being added frequently as we continue to try new ways of using these healthy little seeds.

Cooking with chia seeds is easy, fun and very healthy.

Chia seeds are tiny, hard and have a subtle nut-like flavor when chewed, but they have the unique property of absorbing liquid. When stirred into liquid they soften and absorb 9-12 times their own weight of the liquid. They take on the taste of whatever liquid they are placed in, which makes them ideal to use as a thickener in all sorts of recipes.

The high omega fat content of the seeds makes them useful as a substitute for butter or eggs in baking, which can cut down on calories and adds to their versatility.

If you have already bought chia seeds, then I invite you to try some of our recipes. If you have been thinking of trying them, the best place to buy is online, where you can often get a good price for 1lb to 5lb packs.

You can use black, white or mixed seeds, although its often easier to get black seeds. You can also purchase milled seeds, which are whole ground chia seeds. The nutritional value is roughly the same, no matter what colour seed you buy.

Nutrition

When you add chia seeds to your diet, you will soon begin to see the results. They are a true superfood, a powerhouse of nutrition. Most people soon notice an increase in energy, clearer thinking and a calmer, happier mood. The high fiber content aids regularity in a natural, gentle way.

After a couple of months you should notice clearer skin and more glossy hair, a result, I believe, of the high omega 3 content of the seeds. Because chia seeds digest slowly they make you feel fuller longer which can be an aid to weight loss.

The video below gives in-depth information on the nutritional value of these little seeds and also demonstrates how to make chia gel, which is the basis of many of the recipes on this site.

One to 2 tablespoons of chia seeds per day is a good amount for an adult. Children have less, say half to one tablespoon per day. As with any new food, its best to start off with a small amount and gradually build up. There are no known allergic responses to this food.

What do chia seeds taste like?

Chia seeds have a slightly nutty flavor when eaten on their own. When incorported into a recipe they do not have a noticeable taste. When chia seeds come into contact with the moisture in a recipe, be it a pudding, soup, cookie or smoothie they absorb that moisture and take on the flavor of what they are put into. This makes them a wonderful healthy addition to any recipe, whether sweet or savory.

.About our recipes

In this site I will tell you how to make and use chia gel. In general you will need to hydrate the seeds (ie make a gel) before adding the seeds to any recipe or when adding to a liquid dish, such as a soup, pudding or smoothie, allow the mixture to stand for at least 10 minutes so the chia seeds can expand, soften and take up the flavor of your main ingredients .

There is also information on how to make chia puddings of various kinds and chia drinks including chia fresca and smoothies.

There is information on how to make and use ground chia, how to make cookies and pancakes using ground chia, plus recipes for main courses, soups and desserts.

I have also included some of my own favourite recipes, including chia pinole, and a chia pan bread for you to enjoy, together with simple ideas on how to use chia seeds in your everyday cooking.

There are recipes for both sweet and savory dishes. and many recipes are suitable for vegetarians, vegans and raw food enthusiasts.

Please enjoy these chia seed recipes.

243 Responses to “Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas”

1. Itika says:

Thank you for the recipes! I take chia seeds for two years. I have food intolerance (immunological responses are mediated by non-IgE immunoglobulins, where the immune system recognises a particular food as a foreign body) and my menu is quite limited. In such cases some people have problems with excessive weight loss. But chia can help to gain strengt – they are a powerhouse of nutrition, like you said.

2. Maria Rodriguez says:

This is the first time that I get to read ur information about chia seed I also want to lose some weight and with all the info u have share i will go buy some chia seeds tomorrow I remember drinking the seeds with fruit juices but I didn’t know it could help me lose weight thanks for sharing all ur knowledge about the chia seeds !!

3. Thank you very much for this handy, informative website. My sister told me about chia seeds recently and I am enjoying finding ways to include them in my breakfast or lunch. Here are two I have found most successful:

GRITS: Include 1 tablespoon of chia seeds along with enough quick grits and water for 1 serving (see quick grits package). Stir and cook normally and use about half the butter you would normally use (if you use butter and salt like I do… if you are one to put milk and sugar on grits, then I don’t know how it will work for you). Stir well and eat promptly.

TUNA SALAD: Instead of draining the water, put the entire contents (water and all) of a tuna can in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of chia seeds, half of the mayo you would normally use and relish or celery (whatever you normally put in your tuna salad). Stir it all together nicely and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (I mix mine before bed and use it in the morning to make my sandwich for lunch). Enough for one extra-full sandwich or two sandwiches.

4. Louise says:

Would it be possible to use chia seed in chicken dishes? it would be great to be able to use them in main meals!

• admin says:

Chia seeds can be used in almost any main meals Louise. For example, use seeds (whole or milled) in stuffing mixes, use the seeds to thicken the liquid in chicken stews, casseroles or stir fries. You could add chia seeds to any crumbed coating for your chicken. Have fun and experiment!

5. Judith King says:

I want to use chia seeds BUT I have a question. I had a double by pass surgery almost two years ago and must take lots of medicine as a result. Will using chia gel impede the efficacy of my medication?

• admin says:

Hi Judith, I am not a doctor, so can’t comment on your medical problems. I hope you can understand this. However, the US FDA has approved chia seeds as a food, which means they consider it beneficial and safe to eat, just like any other food. Most doctors have still not heard of chia seeds and have been trained in the use of remedial drugs for patient treatment. I suggest you work closely with your doctor, let him know what you are trying to achieve with the chia seeds. The way to introduce any new food is to take a very little at first, see how you go and then gradually increase what you have. Dr. Oz (the TV doctor) and other doctors who appear on TV have endorsed the health aspects of chia seeds, especially for weight loss. I hope this helps.

• SD says:

Hi Judith,

I am a pharmacist. There is currently no research (that I am aware of) to back this up… However, using physiologic sense, I would recommend what I do for anyone who is taking a lot of fibre or a “bulking agent” (i.e. Metamucil or Benefibre). You should separate your ingestion of chia from your medications – Take your meds at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating chia. As mentioned, start with a small amount and gradually increase your intake.

6. Amelia says:

Hi, I would just like to know if I have to grind my Chia Seeds? Some says its necessary but some say it isn’t but I just have to chew really hard. Thanks!

• admin says:

No need to grind the seeds Amelia. The seeds will soften and do not need much chewing if you put them in soup, milk, fruit juice or some other liquid

7. Libby says:

I just learned about chia seeds and read all the comments – nobody mentioned mixing the seeds into yogurt. Will this work?

• admin says:

Yes Libby it will work. The seeds will be crunchy if you mix them straight in and eat it straight away. If you mix the seeds in then wait 10 minutes or so the seeds will be soft. I like to mix the seeds into fruit juice, then put the resulting fruit juice gel over plain yogurt. All those ways are equally good. Its just a matter of personal preference.

8. Nina says:

I heard about chia seeds a couple of weeks ago, and I was lucky to find them locally. I add the seeds to,water and about a TBS. of Acai berry juice for a little flavor. I am amazed at the result. I weighed myself before I started chia, and in less than two weeks, I have lost 8 lbs. I did incorporate exercise into my routine, which I never had the energy before. I am so glad I heard if them.

• darjana says:

this is great i am using your recipe but doyou drinkbit through out the day or and howany times a day?

• admin says:

When I’m drinking chia fresca, I drink it throughout the day Darjana. Its especially good like this in hot weather. However you can have it any way you prefer — no rules 🙂

• DJ says:

Hi Nina, how much of each do you add to water?

• admin says:

No rules DJ. It depends if you want to make a gel or just have a chia fresca type drink. If you make a gel and its too thick, just add more water or other liquid. Experiment and enjoy your chia seeds and the health benefits that go with them.

9. Gene says:

I have been wondering if you get the nutricional value if you don’t grind the seeds. In adding the gel to my cereal I notice the little black specks in my stools. They don’t seem to be getting digested.

Gene

• admin says:

Hi Gene. It does sound as thought your digestion is a little under par. In that case, it would be better for you to use the milled chia seeds or grind them before using them. Most people digest them with no trouble.

10. cindy says:

just going to start it for the first thing in the morning. I’m a diabetic and looking to lose more wieght. Are there any type of foods to aviod? I was told to drink it before each meal, is that right?

• admin says:

Having 3 – 4 tablespoons of chia seeds per dayl will make you feel full Cindy and make you want to eat less without any feelings of hunger. Take in water or water with a little fruit juice before a meal or incorporate the chia seeds in part of the meal. My book, The chia seed weight loss diet will give you several easy ways to do this. Its an ideal way for diabetics to lose weight. Just eat a healthy diet, with plenty of fresh vegetables and few carbs.

11. Lana brodeur says:

what about taking it right before bed, or should i do like i do with food 3hr limit before bed. Thanks I love these chia seeds.

• admin says:

I have heard that taken before bed it can aid in relaxation and sleep (even though it does increase energy. I guess its a matter of trying it out both ways and see what suits you best Lana. Glad to hear you are loving the seeds – they have so many health benefits.

12. Erica says:

i just heard about chia seeds today from a coworker and was wondering if there is a specific brand of them that you recommend?

• admin says:

I do have a favorite brand. If you live in the US, the Azchia brand is a very good choice, high quality and not expensive. Its also available in some countries outside of the US. This brand is available on Amazon

13. hi my daughter has an egg allergy I have bought some Chia seeds but it is unclear how to use them. I have ground them then added water but it has a very gelatinous consistancy I am putting enough water in it. I use 2 tsp of seeds to 1/4 cup of water. I would appreciate your comments

• admin says:

Hi Karen. Chia seeds can be used as an egg substitute in any baking recipe (cakes cookies etc). Your mixture sounds like it has the right consistency – it should be similar to egg white but you can add a little water if it seems too thick compared to egg white. The trouble is that not all eggs are the same size and it also appears that not all brands of chia seeds thicken up to the same extent. So its not an exact science. Just add your egg substitute to your recipe in the same way you would add an egg.

14. Lola says:

Chris,
    I too have GERD. Is there specific way to take chia for this condition. I would be Thankful for any suggestions.

• admin says:

Hi Lola. I am not aware of any specific way to take Chia for GERD. I have read that a teaspoon of dry chia seeds can can help reduce the symptoms of gastric reflux at the time it is occurring. I have also read that chia seeds can sometimes help GERD sufferers but sometimes the extra fiber can even make things worse. Introduce chia seeds slowly into your diet a teaspoon or less at a time and let your own body (and your doctor) be your guide.

15. dorthy says:

I am tryin chia to help lose weight and have3 questions:

1. If I put the seeds in a drink and then drink it while they are still in the whole non-gel state do I have to drink more liquid to help them expand to help me feel full?
    2. If I use them whole sprinkled on food do I have to add liquid for them to be benificial
    3. I read if you eat whole seeds I neeed to drink more liquid right after eating them to get the benefits…Can diet soda be the liquid?

• admin says:

Good luck with your weight loss Dorthy. In answer to your questions, the reason to have extra liquid with chia seeds is to make sure to keep things “moving”. Chia seeds will swell in any liquid, even stomach acids, to give you a feeling of fullness. If you add any extre fiber to your diet, its wise to have plenty of liquid to aid in regularity. So the answer to question 1. is No. Question 2. If you sprinkle dry seeds on a food that is also dry, then its wise to have something to drink with or after the meal. Question 3. Drink any liquid you like with, after or before eating dry chia seeds.

16. Michelle says:

I just ordered my first bag of chia seeds. I want to incorporate this to my son’s diet since he’s an absolute picky eater but I’m thinking that he might eat less or lose more weight in the process since this is also used for weight loss, right? How can I mix this in his diet without affecting his appetite? Thanks!

• admin says:

He could very well eat less if you give him chia seeds Michelle. My approach would be to give him chia seeds in a dessert or pudding after his main meal as a treat.

17. Rosemarie O. Osborne says:

I just found out about Chia Seed and I’m so looking forward to start cooking with it ansd start using it in my daily food and drinks. Can we mix it in meat? I read it can go in eggs, mashed potatos and anything good, but what about meat. Please let me know.

• admin says:

Yes you can Rosemarie. Try Italian chia meatballs or bind hamburgers with ground or whole chia seeds instead of flour. You can just add chia seeds to a casserole or stew. Chia seeds have very little taste, so they can go in either savory or sweet dishes. Have fun!

• Rosemarie O. Osborne says:

Thanks for your quick reply. Are the seeds better to use than the ground up kind? I went and bought both the ground up kind and also the seeds. I added 1 tsp of the ground up seeds to my coffee and I noticed I didn’t eat all my breakfast because I felt full very quickly and had so much energy afterwards.

• admin says:

Use either ground or whole seeds Rosemarie, depending on your recipe or your mood. I love that chia energy!

18. Mary says:

Is chia good for cholesterol and menopause?

• admin says:

Hi Mary. Chia seeds are high in Omega 3 fats which do help with cholesterol, lowering the “bad” cholesterol and increasing the “good” cholesterol. As for menopause symptoms, I have no knowledge about this, but good nutrition can surely help. I would love to hear back from you about your results.

19. patricia says:

i put chia straight on sandwiches, straight into my mouth. Didnt know about the gel, is this ok.

• admin says:

Its fine to have chia seeds on your sandwiches Patricia. Just make sure you have plenty of water or other liquid as well.

20. Kathy Bush-Wuthrich says:

I have been mixing 2 T. in 8oz of Almond Milk for my breakfast…is it okay to take all the recommended amount at one time?
    Thanks,
    Kathy

• admin says:

There’s no reason I know of why you shouldn’t do this Kathy. I do it myself at times and know many people who also eat 2T of the seeds at one meal, It will keep you full for a very long time.

• Kathy Bush-Wuthrich says:

Thanks so much for getting back…can you use up to 4 T a day? Just wondering what the limit is?

• admin says:

Hi Kathy. 3 or 4 T per day is the range used for weight loss, because it keeps you feeling full and gives you heaps of energy. I have heard of people using 6 or 7 T per day, but that seems excessiveto me. Chia seeds are a healthy food and no limits have been set. However its important to eat a wide range of foods and have a blanced diet.

• Kathy Bush-Wuthrich says:

Thanks so much…do you have any facts about the seeds helping with constipation?

• admin says:

Hi Kathy. Chia seeds have a lot of fiber, both soluble and insoluble which is a great aid to regularity. It is very important to add plenty of water to your diet when adding more fiber – I drink an extra glass of water for every Tablespoon of chia seeds I use. If your regular diet does not include much fiber, then start adding more fiber slowly to avoid any stomach upsets.