Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas

chia seed recipesLooking for chia seed recipes? All our original and tested chia seed recipes are quick to make and easy to follow. We aim to get you started using chia seeds with confidence and also to give you some ideas on how to be more creative using them in your own recipes..

If you want to know how to use chia seeds, this site will give you information, techniques, recipes and plenty of ideas.

New recipes are being added frequently as we continue to try new ways of using these healthy little seeds.

Cooking with chia seeds is easy, fun and very healthy.

Chia seeds are tiny, hard and have a subtle nut-like flavor when chewed, but they have the unique property of absorbing liquid. When stirred into liquid they soften and absorb 9-12 times their own weight of the liquid. They take on the taste of whatever liquid they are placed in, which makes them ideal to use as a thickener in all sorts of recipes.

The high omega fat content of the seeds makes them useful as a substitute for butter or eggs in baking, which can cut down on calories and adds to their versatility.

If you have already bought chia seeds, then I invite you to try some of our recipes. If you have been thinking of trying them, the best place to buy is online, where you can often get a good price for 1lb to 5lb packs.

You can use black, white or mixed seeds, although its often easier to get black seeds. You can also purchase milled seeds, which are whole ground chia seeds. The nutritional value is roughly the same, no matter what colour seed you buy.

Nutrition

When you add chia seeds to your diet, you will soon begin to see the results. They are a true superfood, a powerhouse of nutrition. Most people soon notice an increase in energy, clearer thinking and a calmer, happier mood. The high fiber content aids regularity in a natural, gentle way.

After a couple of months you should notice clearer skin and more glossy hair, a result, I believe, of the high omega 3 content of the seeds. Because chia seeds digest slowly they make you feel fuller longer which can be an aid to weight loss.

The video below gives in-depth information on the nutritional value of these little seeds and also demonstrates how to make chia gel, which is the basis of many of the recipes on this site.

One to 2 tablespoons of chia seeds per day is a good amount for an adult. Children have less, say half to one tablespoon per day. As with any new food, its best to start off with a small amount and gradually build up. There are no known allergic responses to this food.

What do chia seeds taste like?

Chia seeds have a slightly nutty flavor when eaten on their own. When incorported into a recipe they do not have a noticeable taste. When chia seeds come into contact with the moisture in a recipe, be it a pudding, soup, cookie or smoothie they absorb that moisture and take on the flavor of what they are put into. This makes them a wonderful healthy addition to any recipe, whether sweet or savory.

.About our recipes

In this site I will tell you how to make and use chia gel. In general you will need to hydrate the seeds (ie make a gel) before adding the seeds to any recipe or when adding to a liquid dish, such as a soup, pudding or smoothie, allow the mixture to stand for at least 10 minutes so the chia seeds can expand, soften and take up the flavor of your main ingredients .

There is also information on how to make chia puddings of various kinds and chia drinks including chia fresca and smoothies.

There is information on how to make and use ground chia, how to make cookies and pancakes using ground chia, plus recipes for main courses, soups and desserts.

I have also included some of my own favourite recipes, including chia pinole, and a chia pan bread for you to enjoy, together with simple ideas on how to use chia seeds in your everyday cooking.

There are recipes for both sweet and savory dishes. and many recipes are suitable for vegetarians, vegans and raw food enthusiasts.

Please enjoy these chia seed recipes.

243 Responses to “Chia Seed Recipes and Ideas”

1. Henry Richards says:

How long can cooked chia seeds last in the freezer and how long will they keep in the refrigerator after defrosting?

• admin says:

Chia seeds can keep for up to 2 years in their natural state.. Treat as for any food when cooked and frozen. When added to other foods they will keep for several days in the refrigerator after defrosting. It all depends on what you add to them when cooked and frozen Henry.

2. Monique says:

is it ok to add chia seeds to my vegetable juices? I can’t think of a reason why not, but am just wondering if there are compelling reasons not to do that.

3. Kenneth Whitney says:

Ive been using chia for about a year and put it in everything from drinks to spaghetti sauce. I bake with it and put it in my whey proten before I work out. It takes time to learn baking with it but you can use it in banana bread or pie crusts. Its great for you so its well worth the effort. I even use a chia gel base for my dressings in salids.

4. garina says:

How dare has this seed been hiding from my life…

5. Todd says:

Is it safe to feed chia to dogs? If so, how much? Do the same health benefits apply? Thank you.

6. Kathy Bush-Wuthrich says:

I have bought two colors of chia seeds and neither one seem to thicken the liquid I put them in…first black and thought they were just old. Bought packaged white and they are not thickening as well. What am I doing wrong. I keep reading recipes on chia puddings and would like to make from fruit juices…can you please help me? Love your site!
    Kathy

• admin says:

Hi Kathy. I doubt you are doing anything wrong. I have found out that, because of the high demand for chia seeds, there are some low quality seeds coming onto the market. Try making a very thick gel – 1 tablespoon of seeds to half a cup of liquid and see how you go. I will soon be recomending a brand of chia seeds that I know are top quality at a reasonable price. Keep watching …

• Heidi Joy says:

I make my chia pudding with vanilla silk milk or coconut milk, nutmeg and cinnamon each morning for the next day so it sits in the fridge for 24 hours. I give it a stir with a fork at dinner time as well and it is “ready” the morning.

• Cheryl says:

Do you use your pudding to eat before meals to help you feel full? Just really starting to become interested in chia as I need to lose weight after being down for 3 months from foot surgery – thanks

• admin says:

A pudding is usually eaten as a breakfast dish, or perhaps a dessert. You could use a pudding before meals as a weight loss strategy. However, its easier to just drink a glass of water with a tabespoon of seeds stirred in before a meal, with perhaps a little fruit juice added to make it more palatable as away to lose weight. Personally, I like to make chia seeds part of each meal if I’m trying to lose weight. “The Chia Seed Weight Loss Diet”, available on Amazon, gives several weight loss strategies for you to follow if you are confused Cheryl

7. Valerie says:

You speak alot about the gel however you get more value for 1 Tbs of seeds rather than 1 Tbs of gel so why not just use the whole seeds in recipes? I am not sure what the advantage of making the gel is? Please clarify as I am confused now.

• admin says:

I totally agree with you Valerie. That’s why in most, if not all of my recipes, I start with one or two tablespoons of chia seed. However, I do like to add these seeds to the liquid used in the recipe to make the seeds soften and swell (ie gel) so that the texture is more palatable. However its not necessary to soak the seeds in the liquid of a recipe if you want a crunchy texture. For example, when making a chia seed omelet, I let the seeds soak in the beaten egg first for about 5 minutes or so, otherwise the omelet would be crunchy. I hope that clears up your confusion.

• SWHEATJAM says:

I’m thinking also the advantage to making the gel is to make easy awsome drinks. I actually have not bought chia seeds and used them myself, but they are on my list for the next trip to the market! I am excited & planning on trying: 2c of water (distilled?)and blending in some blackberrys, then adding the 1Tbs of seeds to gel up 🙂 This would be my first trial. What do you think admin, how does that sound? I just read somewhere else, that is how the gel is made: 2C water + 1 Tbs seeds is this correct?

• admin says:

Sounds good! You can either blend the seeds in or keep them whole. The seeds will thicken your mixture but not very much at this concentration. If you want it thicker, add a little more of the seeds, or use less water next time

• Matt says:

Adding it to your foods as added nutrition is only one aspect of chia. The gel is an additional way with different benefits.

Anyone trying to lose weight can add chia gel to buik up the food and fill them up without having to starve themselves. In addition, you can add chia seeds to your drinks to make them more nutritions. If you add them to a sugary drinks like apple, cranberry, or pomegranate juice, it protects them from your stomachs acids and enzymes until the gel is dissolved, acting as an extended release for the sugars giving a more sustained energy.

They can also be used as a binding agent, which is great for people that need to stay gluten free. Research it a bit and you’ll see that there are *TONS* of ways to use it other than just adding it to food raw.

8. MJOD says:

Is it worth the extra cost to buy organic Chia seeds?

• admin says:

Being a relative of the mint family, chia seeds do not need any pesticides, they naturally repel pests. Most of the good brands are grown in very natural conditions. Personally I don’t feel its necessary to spend more for the organic seeds.

9. Kathy Bush-Wuthrich says:

What is the difference between white and black Chia Seeds? Also, where is your preference to order from? I bought some at my local health food store and must not be fresh because they did not thicken the water??? Thank you!
    Kathy

• admin says:

Hi Kathy, There is very little difference between black and white seeds in nutritional value, although I have read that there are slightly more antioxidants in the black seeds. There is more variation in nutritional value depending on where thy are grown, but as long as they are black or white, not brown, they are all good. I favor buying online from companies that specilize in chia seeds, if I lived in the US I would buy from Amazon as thier prices are good and they have most of the leading brands. Try adding more seeds or less liquid to make a gel. Chia seeds stay fresh for years.

10. Kathy says:

I just came across your web site and it is just wonderful. Bought seeds and plan to incorporate into my diet…can’t wait!

11. Judy Wiebe says:

How does one tablespoon of seeds relate to ground? If you ground the one tbsp. seeds what volume would you get? Looking forward to using this site a lot. Thank you.

• admin says:

Hi Judy. I grind my own seeds in a magic bullet which is quite effective. I usually add just a lttle more of the seeds when grinding them (no more than about a quarter of a teaspoon per tablespoon of chia seeds) to make up for what gets stuck around the blades of the grinder. Ground chia seeds are very similar in volume to whole chia seeds. The oil in chia seeds makes the ground chia quite dense and a bit sticky. I hope you enjoy using the recipes here.

12. Polly says:

Can I make a weekly supply of chia gel to store and serve over the course of a week? Thanks, Polly

13. April says:

I read somewhere that the nutritional benefits of chia seeds are only available if the seeds have been split (sort of like flax seed) and that otherwise they simply pass through the body undigested. Do you happen to know if this is true and do you know anything about the Mila brand…is it really worth the extra cost or is it a MLM scam? Thanks so much for the information!

• admin says:

One of the good things about chia seeds April are that they are easy to digest without being split or ground, unlike flax seeds. As for the Mila brand, I have heard of this, but other than that, I have no real knowledge of it. My own opinion is that they are probably not worth the extra money unless there are other added ingredients.

• West says:

That’s not true, I have been eating them for a while and I know for a fact that you dont have to split the seeds!!!

14. Sheryl King says:

We would like to take 2 T. of Chia Seeds daily. Would taking 2 T. of a Gel made with 2 T. of Chia Seeds & 1 Cup water (a 1 to 8 ratio) give us the same nutrutional value as 2 T. of the Seeds? Is any of the nutritional value lost when using the gel in cooking?

• admin says:

Hi Sheryl, Two T of the gel is less nutritional value than 2 T of chia seeds. To get the equivalent nutritional value of 2 T of chia seeds, you would need to consume the cup of gel over the course of a day (easily done if you add it to soups, casseroles or mashed veggies). Research has shown that the seeds are very hardy and very little nutritional value is lost in cooking.

15. Camden says:

Do I need to make the chia gel for consumption, or can I just drink them in juice right after I add them?? And what about adding them to eggs?? I guess what I’m asking is, do I always need to make the seeds turn into a gel before I eat or drink them??

• admin says:

No need to wait for the seeds to gel before eating or cooking them Camden. Just remember that when using chia seeds in a recipe, they will be crunchy if you don’t wait for them to gel. Some people like this crunchy effect.

16. Raquel says:

I bought some Chia Seeds yesterday for the first time. I’m interested in learning how to incorporate them into my family’s diet.

17. chris jennings says:

Thank you for recipes. I am using CHIA to lose weight and healthy eating. I have reflux/gerd and Barrett’s Esophagus and I have found this little seed to be so helpful!!

• admin says:

Thanks Chris. I’m so glad to hear you have found chia seeds so helpful. My health has improved since I started eating chia seeds over 3 years ago and my weight has steadily gone down too.

18. Ron Borg says:

I add chia seeds to my spinach & cheese omelettes… yum!

19. Antonio pinero says: