40 Ways to use Chia Seeds

How to use chia seeds.

Wondering how to use chia seeds? Chia seeds are very easy to incorporate into your diet. Below is a list of ways I have used them in my recipes. I would love to hear of your unique ways of using chia seeds.

1. Soak 1 level tablespoon of chia seeds with a quarter cup of water to make an egg substitute for baking cakes and cookies.

2. Add chia seeds to apple juice to make “sago”.

cauliflower chia soup

3. Grind seeds and add to hot milk to make a “porridge”

4. Mix seeds through yogurt.

5. Add seeds to soup to thicken and add nutrition.

6. Grind seeds and mix with flour, milk and eggs to make pancakes.

7. Add seeds to salad dressings.

8. Eat Chia seeds whole and raw as a snack.

9. Add whole seeds to diluted fruit juice to make Chia Fresca.

chia omelet with mushrooms

10. Make Chia Pudding by adding whole seeds to milk, nut milk or soy milk.

11. Blend chia seeds into smoothies.

12. Make a “lassie” by blending chia seeds, yogurt and fruit juice.

13. Add chia seeds to beaten eggs, soak for 10 minutes and make an omelette.

14. Mix with worcestershire or bbq sauce and brush over barbequed meats.

15. Add ground chia seeds to flour when making bread.

16. Make chia pan bread by combining chia seeds, eggs, milk, flour and baking powder. Cook in

chia pan bread and topping

a heavy based pan with a lid on.

17. Add whole chia seeds to a cake batter to make a heavy poppy seed like cake.

18. Add seeds to stews to thicken.

19. Throw some seeds into a stir fry.

20. Make a thin batter of ground chia seeds and milk and cook in a slow oven to make crackers.

Our complete recipe index is HERE

21. Sprinkle seeds over a salad.

22. Pureed fruit, chia seeds and a little fruit juice is a good topping for ice cream.

23. Stir whole seeds through cooked lentils.

24. Soak seeds in beaten eggs and use this mix to make a frittata.

25. Cook brown rice in vegetable stock and stir chia seeds through when rice is cooked.

26. Top a cheesecake with chia seeds soaked in fruit juice to make a gel toppingl.

27. Add whole or ground seeds to cookie mixes.

28. Mix ground seeds with ground beef to make meatballs.

29. Cook brown rice in apple juice, add grated apple and stir whole chia seeds through the mixture for a tasty dessert.

30. Toasted ground chia seeds mixed with honey and cinnamon makes a wonderful base for cheesecake.

31. Add whole seeds to granola.

32. Mix white chia seeds that have been soaked in milk through mashed potatoes.

33. Sprout the seeds and use in salads.

34. Mix ground seeds with butter or peanut butter for a nutritious spread.

35. Cinnamon, ground chia and butter is great on hot scones.

36. Add a desert spoon of black seeds to a green jelly mix for “frogs egg jelly”.

37. Spread a mixture of honey, cinnamon, dried fruit and ground chia on to filo or puff pastry sheets, roll up and cook in a hot oven.

38. Mix the seeds, whole or ground through Nutella.

39. Add ground seeds soaked in an egg to bind a hamburger mix.

40. Soak chia seeds in milk and mix through hot oatmeal.

Click to go to the recipe index

The more I use chia seeds, the more ways I find to add them to my diet.

Here are even more ways to use chia seeds

41. Add half black and half white chia seeds to custard to make “polka dot custard" – great for kids

42. Make a pasta sauce by blending chia seeds, cooked cauliflower and vegetable stock

43. Don’t waste left over liquid from a stew. Add chia seeds, allow to thicken, then heat and serve with toast, over rice, pasta or over a delicious plate of vegetables.

44. Add ground or whole chia seeds to your favorite stuffing mixture

45. Whisk 2 teaspoons of chia seeds into coconut water. This is especially good on a hot day for keeping hydrated and an excellent idea for athletes. It’s so effective and healthy I feel it will soon be marketed as a sports drink.

46. Want a crunchy breakfast? Add half to one tablespoon of chia seeds to crunchy toasted muesli. Add milk, fruit juice, soy or nut milk and eat immediately. The chia seeds will retain their crunch.

47. Add ground chia seeds to your favorite fish cake recipe

48.When baking cakes or cookies, substitute one quarter to one half of your regular flour with milled chia seeds. Milled chia seeds are now more readily available and it saves you from grinding the whole seeds.

49. When eating tinned tuna in spring water, don’t drain it. Put the entire can of tuna and spring water in a bowl and add chia seeds. Let it stand for a while so the seeds soak up the water and use in sandwiches. Add about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for the largest size can, less for smaller cans – very filling and more nutritious than just tuna.

chia seed and peanut butter spread with rye bread and apple

50. Add chia seeds to any spread, sweet or savory, such as peanut butter, jams, jellies, cream cheese. I use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of seeds to 4 of tablespoons of the spread.

257 Responses to “40 Ways to use Chia Seeds”

1. Heather says:

Does it matter what time of day I eat Chia? Since the benefits include prolonged energy, will it act as a stimulant and keep me awake if I ingest it too late?

• admin says:

Good question, Heather. Believe it or not, chia seeds are believed to promote restful sleep as well as giving you more energy. I have never had any trouble sleeping if I eat chia seeds at night. However we are all different, so aim to get the most of the energy boost from chia seeds by having them early in the day. The energy from chia seeds is steady, not stimulating like coffee.

2. Pat Egberts says:

I have been adding whole chia seeds to my homemade bread prior to baking it. Is this adding any nutrition to my bread? Should I be grinding them first? P.S. My blood pressure has been going down lately and my Dr. reduced my medication! I had not thought about it but maybe the Chia deserves some of the credit… Thank you!

• admin says:

Hi Pat. Yes you are adding nutrition to your bread by adding the whole chia seeds. Chia seeds are very hardy and don’t lose much nutrition through baking. No need to grind the seeds, but you might like to try milled (ground) chia seeds to see what change in texture it gives your bread. I’m glad to hear your blood pressure has been going down. Regular use of chia seeds has been shown to improve high blood pressure. Chia seeds have helped my blood pressure go down and now I don’t need to take any medication for it.

3. Malinda says:

What about using the Chia gel mix as a seed starter for vegetable plants? Just wondering…Thanks for all the wonderful insight!

• admin says:

I really don’t know Malinda. It would certainly be a very nourishing plant starter. I would use ground (milled) chia if you go ahead with this as otherwise the chia seeds may sprout along with your vegetable seeds. 😮

4. Marilyn says:

Hello….Once the chia seeds have been mixed with water how long are they good for. I have had them in the refrigerator in a tightly covered jar for about 3 weeks.
    Thanks!

• admin says:

Hi Marilyn. A chia gel made with water is supposed to keep in a well covered container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. However, I’m a little over cautious about keeping things in the fridge for too long and would only keep it for about a week. I often make a fruit juice gel and keep that for only a few days. I usually add the raw chia seeds to any recipe I’m making rather than keep a gel.

5. Summer says:

Can you add milled chia seeds to your drink of choice or does it have to be whole chia seeds….Can you use milled seeds in any area that you would whole seeds?

• admin says:

Yes you can use the milled chia seed in any recipe that uses whole chia seeds Summer. In many cases the texture will be a little different though.

6. Erin says:

This is such a useful list, thank you! I found this link on pinterest. I wish the food shots were more pinnable/appealing though (with all due respect). I bet this list would go viral faster, and push more traffic to your site.

• admin says:

I’m glad you like my list Erin. As for the photographs, I am still learning to photograph food, and hope they will improve over time.

7. Chan says:

Can I add chia seeds to my chilled green tea? Are there any concerns with chia seeds and caffeine?

• admin says:

No issues with chia seeds and caffeine Chan. I often have a teaspoon of chia seeds in green tea. The chia seeds tend to settle on the bottom of the cup but do not make the tea gel in this quantity. Have a teaspoon nearby when you drink chia teas to give a quick stir occasionally.

8. Alicia says:

For those trying to avoid vegetable oils, if you are following the RAVE or Esslystine diets or something similar, Chia seeds can be used to get a thicker, sticker salad dressing without adding any oil.

9. Kim says:

If I were to put Chia seeds into a protein shake or smoothie, but not wait 15 minutes to drink it, will it still be effective?

• admin says:

No need to wait Kim, your chia seeds will still be effective. However, waiting for 15 minutes will give a thicker, smoother smoothie. You can get the same effect by adding the chia seeds to the liquid you are going to use in the smoothie first, and wait for 10 – 15 minutes before blending. Experiment to see how you like it best.

10. Holly says:

I do alot of salads for lunch. If I pack my salad in the morning will the chia seeds get mushy from the lettuce or should I throw them over my salad when ready to eat?

• admin says:

If you want your chia seeds to be crunchy in your salad, then add them at the last minute Holly. Putting them in with lettuce and other salad ingredients in the morning will result in mushy seeds.

11. Lillian says:

Hi I tried to soak Chia seeds to make a pudding but after hours nothing happoned . What did I do wrong. Lillian in Florida

• admin says:

Hi Lillian. Check these steps first. 1. you need to add the seeds straight into the liquid you are using for the pudding.,not soak them first 2. Try adding more chia seeds to the liquid – you may have too much liquid relative to your seeds for the gelling to occur. 3. Whisk the seeds into the liquid with a fork or whisk for about 10 seconds, then stir again a few seconds later. Good quality chia seeds will start to gel very quickly, within minutes. If you are doing all the above things, and your chia seeds are still not forming a gel, then you may have purchased immature or low quality seeds. Your seeds should be black or white. If they are a brownish color, then they are low quality or immature seeds which sometimes find their way onto the market.

12. CYNTHIA says:

Do i need to soak chia seeds before using them in a smoothie?

• admin says:

There is no need to soak your seeds before using them in a smoothie Cynthia. But if you do, soak them in the liquid you are going to use in the smoothie. If you soak them in water, then add to your smoothie, the flavor will be watered down. The consistency of your smoothie will be a little “smoother” if you soak them first.

13. Chris says:

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for sharing these great Chia recipes! One of my favorite ways to eat Chia is to mix it in to a jar of peanut butter. The seeds soften after 30 minutes or so and it’s great on a piece of toast or as a PBJ.

Chris

14. David says:

I just ate some in Yogurt, salt pepper and olive oil.

15. mary barber says:

since 20 jan i’ve been using the chia seeds daily. they make me feel “healthy”. i like to make muffin in a cup. 1/4 C. chia seeds, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 3-4 Tsp. crushed pineapple, 3 Tsp. shredded coconut, 1 Tbsp butter, 2 packet of yellow sweetner, mix well in coffee cup, microwave 55-60 seconds, flip over onto plate, and enjoy!

16. tracy says:

Hello I have a vega One shake Is it Okay to throw some chia seeds in it ??

17. martha says:

I started using the chia for weight loss. Can I just take them without putting in water or food. I ordered them from ebay and they came in packets and i take some and eat it and then drink water. Is that ok?

• admin says:

Its fine to have your chia seeds that way Martha. Make sure you drink plenty of water. However its much nicer to have chia seeds in puddings, smoothies or soups or other recipes.

18. Joy Estacio says:

Greetings!!! ??? I love coffee it is okay to add the seed on it how much can I add of big mug of coffee?? Thank you!!

• admin says:

Hi Joy. I would prefer to make a coffee flavored pudding than add them to a cup of coffee. However, if you want to add chia seeds to coffee, just add a teaspoon of chia seeds and keep stirring your coffee or the seeds will settle on the bottom and clump together.

• Jason says:

I made coffee pudding with chia seeds and grated some dark chocolate over it and the ladies at work raved about it. It goes great with coffee!

19. ann jones says:

I read that chia seeds can thin the blood. Is this a good thing and are there any other health issues that have to be considered before starting to introduce these seeds into your daily diet?

• admin says:

Chia seeds can thin the blood and they are useful in helping to control high blood pressure Ann. However the FDA have classed chia seeds as a food and safe for human consumption. If you are taking blood thinning medication then its wise to consult your doctor. Always intorduce a new food in small doses first to see how you react. The vast majority of people feel the benefits of having chia seeds.

20. Patsie Blair says:

I take blood pressure medicine to lower my blood pressure. I want to try the chia seeds for health benefits. How do I do this.

• admin says:

Hi Patsie. You need to work with your doctor. Several years ago I was in your position. I went to my doctor and explained that I was trying to lower my blood pressure naturally. I used chia seeds, deep breathing, exercise and meditation. I went back to my doctor each fortnight to have my blood pressure measured and the blood pressure medication reduced if necessary. I no longer take any medication for high blood pressure.